Benefit-Cost Analysis of FDOT District 4 Fort Lauderdale SMART SunGuide ITS Operations
The Fort Lauderdale SMART SunGuide Traffic Management Center (TMC) is responsible for the operations and management of intelligent transportation systems (ITS) for the Florida Interstate Highway System (FIHS) in Broward County. This includes the I-95, I-75, and I-595 corridors in Broward County. The TMC is managed by the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) District 4 and is currently being operated 7 days per week, 24 hours per day.
This project performed a benefit-cost analysis of the FDOT Smart SunGuide Fort Lauderdale TMC ITS operations, providing the necessary benefit/cost measures required to evaluate the operations. The considered benefits include:
- Reduction in travel time/delay
- Incident duration reduction
- Diversion due to DMS messages
- Reduction in secondary accidents
- Reduction in fatalities due to faster response
- Reduction in fuel consumption
- Reduction in emission
- Driver monitory benefits due to free-of-charge services provided by service patrol
The considered costs include capital, operation, and maintenance costs. The research teams initially implemented the methodology in an Excel spreadsheet, then the methodology was integrated as part of the FDOT District 4 Smart incident management software.