Integrating Data and Models for Analysis of Freight Movements on Multimodal Transportation Systems for Florida
or Dr. David Shen, 305-348-1869, firstname.lastname@example.org
Freight transportation is a critical component of Florida's Strategic Intermodal System (SIS). The main objective of this project is to develop approaches to integrating data and models to facilitate freight analysis of the entire transportation system, including highways, railways, waterways, air transportation, terminals, and intermodal facilities. The specific objectives of the project are to:
- Design overall approaches for data and model integration;
- Design and develop procedures to construct an interconnected multimodal model network and use this model network to facilitate freight data integration from different sources;
- Develop approaches to integrate existing freight models and formulate new models to meet freight data development needs;
- Integrate existing models and develop and implement new procedures;
- Apply modeling capabilities to develop data on freight flow generation, distribution, modal choices, and flow assignment for the multimodal transportation network; and
- Validate and verify the developed flow data with known freight flow patterns.
To achieve these objectives, the project will utilize the tools that have been developed at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, such as analytical freight network development, freight routing, and freight flow assignment on the intermodal transportation network, and the tools and data resources that already exist at FDOT, including modeling components and freight flow data developed by the FDOT System Planning Office. The ultimate goal of the project is to provide methodologies that will generate freight data that are truly intermodal and multimodal. Transportation planners and decision-makers will be able to use these data to evaluate conditions and performance of freight transportation under different scenarios and to identify major bottlenecks and analyze congestion and delays in the multimodal transportation systems.